Most High God, distractions seem to be everywhere this day and age. I cannot focus, even to pray. I feel as though I am being pulled in a million directions at once. I cannot take the time to even spend with my family. Lord, remove these distractions from my life. Help me to focus and to get things done, that I may be able to serve You better. Amen. This exposition shares insight on prayer to focus on studying.
One must be able to concentrate in order to think clearly, get things done, and sense God’s presence. Concentration is difficult in today’s hectic, distraction-filled world. If you’re having trouble concentrating, try saying a prayer. God will meet you right in the thick of it all and sharpen your focus. Stress can make it hard to concentrate. Try praying when you need to hear from God or get something done. You’ll also read prayer for focus and direction in this piece.
Prayer To Focus On God
Abba Father, the things I do in life require me to concentrate. If I make too many mistakes, it could cost me dearly. I don’t want to be irresponsible, Lord, so help me to concentrate. Vanquish all things from my purview that distract me and compete for my attention. Instead, allow me to focus solely on the task at hand so that I may be pleasing to You. Amen.
Prayer for Mental Stamina
Sovereign Lord, be with me now, for I am so exhausted. Even working for hours out in the field is nothing compared to the mental exhaustion I am feeling. I cannot start any task without nearly falling asleep. O Lord, help me to focus. Give me the mental stamina and energy I need to stay sharp and on point so that I do not bring myself nor my neighbor greater misery through my negligence. Amen.
Prayer for Diligence at Work
Lord of the Highest Heavens, help me and hear my cries. I am falling behind at work, and I know it is because I am distracted. I cannot focus on my work at hand, but I have become preoccupied with petty and unproductive things. I want to do good work and be a good employee, so I ask that You break this habitual distraction. Allow me not to get sidetracked, but to do good work so that I can provide for my family. Amen.
Prayer for Greater Clarity
Lord Jesus, You have assured us that You are not the author of confusion. With confusion comes a lack of clarity, and with a lack of clarity, there is always a distraction and a feeling of hopelessness. Therefore, I ask You to make me sharp and quick-witted. Help me to focus and tease apart messy situations so that I can be of use to others and help resolve problems. In Your almighty name, I pray. Amen.
Prayer for an Energy Boost
My Living God, each day is so difficult to get through. I feel as though I am always running on empty. Everything seems so tedious, and I have such a hard time investing myself in my work. Give me the energy I need to improve in my career. Help me to focus and concentrate on the task at hand, so that I can become useful in my vocation. Amen.
Prayer for Direction
Maker of Heaven and Earth, I have come to a fork in my career path. Opportunities I did not foresee have come about, and I am not sure which path to take. Yet there is confidence and clarity in Your will. I humbly ask that You make the right path apparent. Bless me with Your gift of wisdom so that I can make the best of my situation and come to peace with my career decisions. Amen.
Prayer for the Strength to Remain Focused
Most Gracious Lord, the taxing and monotonous nature of my job have left me feeling empty. I feel like I am being used up. The job is thankless. My boss is unreasonable with his/her demands, and I cannot concentrate for the life of me. Send me Your enlightening Spirit to help me make it through this difficult time in my career. Allow me to still be a good and gracious employee while I strive to improve. Amen.
Prayer for Motivation
Lord Jesus, our Merciful and Faithful High Priest, why am I so unmotivated? I want to go to work and succeed. I want to have the dignity of a good job and lead a peaceful life. I want to put all of myself into my job and make my family and employer proud. Yet it is so difficult for me to dig down deep inside and find the fire within. O Jesus, You know my heart. I desire to walk in Your ways and to be a good ambassador to my neighbor. Reignite the fire within me so that I can find motivation each day. In Your all-powerful name, I pray. Amen.
Prayer Against Distracting Spirits
Oh God of my Salvation, even though much of the world pays no attention, I know when I am under spiritual attack. Even the most minuscule things get under my skin. They distract me from my work, my family, and my devotion to You. Keep these demonic entities away from me. Drive them far off from my home and workplace. Keep my heart and mind in Your grace so that the enemy is kept far off. Amen.
Prayer To Focus On Studying
The ability to focus is vital for clarity, productivity, and noticing God’s presence. In this busy world that’s full of distractions, however, focusing is often challenging. It helps to say a prayer for focus. God will meet you in the middle of any situation to help you focus more. So, don’t let stress keep you from focusing. Whenever you need to hear from God or accomplish a task, try a prayer for focus. Here is what the Bible says about focusing, 5 powerful prayers for focus, and how increasing your focus helps your walk with God.
Where Does the Bible Talk about Focusing?
The Bible talks about focusing in several different contexts – and here are the key Bible verses that relate to focusing.
These verses relate to blocking out distractions so you can focus on God’s messages to you:
“He says, ‘Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.’” – Psalm 46:10
“… in quietness and trust is your strength…” – Isaiah 30:15
“But my eyes are fixed on you, Sovereign Lord; in you I take refuge…” – Psalm 141:8
“Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.” – Joshua 1:8
“Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.” – James 4:8
These verses relate to focusing the thoughts in your mind wisely:
“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” – Romans 12:2
“… we have the mind of Christ.” – 1 Corinthians 2:16
“We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” – 2 Corinthians 10:5
“Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.” – Colossians 3:2
“And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to test and prove what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ.” – Philippians 1:9-10
“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.” – Philippians 4:8
These verses relate to focusing on the work that God has given you to do:
“Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.” – Proverbs 16:3
“For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.” – 2 Timothy 1:7
“I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” – Philippians 4:13
Prayer For Focus And Direction
5 Powerful Prayers for Focus
Try these prayers for focus whenever you need them:
- A prayer for stillness: “God, I’m too restless to focus right now. It feels like my attention is being pulled in too many directions. Please empower me to be still and know that you are with me. I give you all the activities in my busy schedule that are distracting me right now, and trust you to help me with each one. As I pause here to be still with you, wake me up to the wonder of your presence. Thank you for always being here, and for the joy I can find when I notice your presence. Help me rest here with you for a while, without worrying about doing anything else. I want to fully receive your complete and unconditional love. I love you, God. Amen.”
- A prayer for quietness: “Help me tune out the noise around me and tune into your voice, God. There are so many voices competing for my attention, but yours is the most important. I’m reserving this time for you, so I can listen for your quiet voice (1 Kings 19:11-13). Please help me block out the distracting noises of everything and everyone apart from you, such as my cell phone, online notifications, and trivial conversations around me. Quiet my mind, as well, so I can hear you with clarity. Amen.”
- A prayer for concentration: “I have important work to do in this moment, God. Please help me focus solely on the task at hand. Show me how to concentrate well so I can make good progress. Remove all other concerns from my mind during this time I’ve dedicated to accomplish this task. I’m grateful for this powerful mind you have given me, and I commit to using it well. If anyone interrupts me or anything distracts me while I’m trying to concentrate, please bring my mind back to my work. Steady my attention so I can bring this task to completion well. Amen.”
- A prayer for inspiration: “God, I need your guidance right now. So many thoughts are running through my mind that I can’t focus on what I’m trying to do. Keep me from getting sidetracked or stuck. Please give me the focus I need to perceive your messages to me, so I can be inspired with new ideas about where to go from here with this task. Thank you for refreshing my mind with your wisdom as I focus on listening to you. Amen.”
- A prayer for stamina: “While I’m working on this task, God, please give me the energy I need to stay focused on it and to complete it. I’ve put a lot of time and effort into this, and I’m feeling tired and stressed. I need more mental stamina to go on. Please give me the enduring focus I need to sustain and finish. Thank you for renewing my mind and encouraging me so I can focus well. Amen.”
How Increasing Your Focus Helps Your Walk with God
Increasing your capacity to focus trains your mind to notice, enjoy, and appreciate what God is doing around you. When you learn how to focus your attention well, you strengthen your ability to pay attention to the wonder of God’s work in your life. My book Wake Up to Wonder describes research that shows people can learn how to focus better by planning regular breaks into their schedules. One study found that taking brief mental breaks from working on prolonged tasks significantly improved people’s performance on those tasks. The breaks empowered them to focus well by giving them the variety that their minds craved. Walking is an especially helpful type of break to take to increase focus. Research cited in the book reveals that walking can significantly strengthen concentration and boost inspiration, among other benefits such as relieving stress and improving mood and memory. Taking a “wonder walk” is a practice I recommend for increasing focus in a way that can help your walk with God. During a wonder walk, you intentionally search for something that inspires awe in your soul while walking. You must focus in order to discover that inspiration, and once you find it, you’re motivated to keep focusing on God’s work around you.
By focusing your mind on pursuing something inspiring, you welcome God to bring signs of his presence to your attention. You can always count on him doing so, since he promises in Jeremiah 29:13: “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” The more you learn to focus well, the more you can increase your awareness of the God who walks with you through life. That will strengthen your faith, which will help you keep moving closer to God every day.