The prayer begins by acknowledging the calling and purpose of mission work, recognizing its significance in bringing hope, healing, and transformation to individuals and communities alike. It highlights the selflessness and sacrifice required to carry out this noble task, asking for strength and guidance for those embarking on this
Praying for missions is an essential aspect of many religious traditions, where believers seek divine guidance and support for those who are embarking on mission trips or working as missionaries. Whether you are a devout Christian, a practicing Muslim, or a member of any other faith, the act of praying for missions is a means of expressing your concern and solidarity with individuals who are dedicating their lives to spreading the message of their faith to different parts of the world. In this article, we will explore the significance of mission prayers, provide examples, and delve into the various prayer points and methods associated with this practice.
Righteous Father, let Your Kingdom come and Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven through missionaries. By faith, we declare that they understand the roles they play in bringing Your plans to fruition. They have the mind of Christ and they hold the thoughts and purposes of His heart. We decree that they hold fast to the profession of their faith without wavering for You are faithful in fulfilling Your promises. Lord, we trust in You that their minds are stayed on things that are true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely and admirable. Missionaries will constantly think about the things that are excellent and worthy of praise. They are doers of the Word and not hearers only. We confess that every missionary will work as unto the Lord. Lord, as they do this, their needs are met according to Your riches in glory in Christ Jesus because of their service to Your Kingdom. Lord, they will serve in humility, harmony and unity with others in the missionary field. They will each serve with a spirit of excellence and a garment of praise.
Holy Spirit, what are additional areas I need to pray for missionaries?
Holy Spirit, please fill each missionary with the knowledge of Your will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding. Stir their hearts to hunger and thirst after You. Father, bless them physically, spiritually, emotionally and financially. Bless their families and homes and bestow upon them traveling mercies. Father, give them favor with all persons they come in contact with and help them to complete every assigned task. Lord, protect them and keep them safe. Fill each of them with joy and pour out Your love upon them.
Forgiving Father, forgive missionaries for all acts of sinfulness, including idolatry, dissension, strife, pride, rebellion, discord, jealousy, injustice, hatred and slander. Lord, forgive me for (list any sins that you have committed).Holy Spirit, remind missionaries of those they need to forgive and help them to be quick to forgive. As for me, Holy Spirit, bring to my remembrance those I need to forgive. (Take a moment and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal names and faces of people that you may need to forgive. As He reveals them, say, “I forgive names of person(s).” Now, trust the Lord to heal any wounds in your soul caused by unforgiveness.)
Holy Spirit, help missionaries not to yield to temptation but deliver them from the evil one.
Lord, You are the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. You are worthy to receive glory and honor and power. You created all things and, by Your will, they exist and were created. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Scripture References for the Written Text: Psalm 8:1-2, Matthew 6:10, Philippians 2:5, Hebrews 10:23, Philippians 4:8, James 1:22, Colossians 1:10, Colossians 1:9, Matthew 5:6, Matthew 6:13, Revelations 4:11
What is an example of a mission prayer?
Mission prayers can take on many forms, but they often share common themes such as asking for protection, guidance, and the ability to effectively convey the message of one’s faith. Here is an example of a mission prayer:
“Dear Heavenly Father, we come before you today to lift up those who have dedicated their lives to the mission of sharing your word with the world. We pray for their safety as they travel to far-off places, for their health, and for the strength to overcome challenges they may face.
May you grant them the wisdom to connect with those they meet, to speak with love and compassion, and to touch the hearts of those who have not yet heard your message. Give them the courage to persevere in their mission, even in the face of adversity.
Lord, we also pray for the people they will encounter, that their hearts may be open to your love and grace. Please work through these missionaries, and may their efforts be fruitful. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen.”
This is just one example, and mission prayers can vary greatly depending on the faith tradition and individual preferences.
What is the prayer point for missions?
Mission prayer points are specific areas or intentions that individuals and communities focus on when praying for missions. These prayer points help guide the prayers and ensure that key aspects of the mission work are covered. Some common prayer points for missions include:
- Safety and Protection: Pray for the safety and protection of missionaries as they travel to and live in potentially challenging or dangerous areas.
- Health and Well-being: Pray for the physical and emotional well-being of missionaries, as they may face health issues and stress while on their mission.
- Effectiveness in Ministry: Pray for the missionaries to be effective in their ministry, that they may successfully share their faith and positively impact the lives of those they encounter.
- Cultural Sensitivity: Pray for missionaries to be culturally sensitive and respectful, allowing them to connect with local communities and build trust.
- Provision of Resources: Pray for the provision of resources, both financial and material, to support the mission work and meet the needs of missionaries.
- Conversion and Transformation: Pray for the conversion and transformation of the people the missionaries reach, that they may come to know and accept the message of faith.
- Open Doors and Favor: Pray for open doors and favor with local authorities and communities, making it easier for missionaries to carry out their work.
- Unity and Team Dynamics: Pray for unity and harmonious team dynamics among missionaries, as they often work in small groups or teams.
What is the intercessory prayer for mission?
Intercessory prayer for mission is a form of prayer where individuals or a community of believers intercede on behalf of missionaries and their mission work. It involves standing in the gap and appealing to a higher power to provide support, guidance, and protection for those engaged in missionary activities. Intercessory prayers are deeply rooted in various religious traditions and are seen as a way of selflessly serving and supporting others.
Intercessory prayers for mission may include:
- Pleading for divine guidance and wisdom for missionaries.
- Praying for the safety and health of missionaries and their families.
- Seeking blessings for the success and fruitfulness of mission work.
- Asking for the conversion and spiritual growth of those missionaries are reaching out to.
- Requesting that obstacles and challenges in the path of missionaries be removed.
- Petitioning for open hearts and receptive spirits in the people the missionaries encounter.
Intercessory prayer for mission is a selfless act of love and compassion, and it reflects the interconnectedness of believers within a faith community.
Prayer for missions and evangelism
Praying for missions and evangelism goes hand in hand. Both missions and evangelism involve spreading the teachings and beliefs of a particular faith, but they may differ in their methods and targets. While mission work encompasses a broader spectrum of service and often includes community development, charity, and education, evangelism primarily focuses on actively sharing the gospel and leading individuals to faith.
A prayer for missions and evangelism may encompass:
- Requesting divine guidance and wisdom for missionaries and evangelists.
- Praying for the receptive hearts of the people being evangelized.
- Asking for the protection of those involved in both mission and evangelism work.
- Seeking success in both sharing the message of faith and in serving the physical and spiritual needs of the community.
- Requesting that the love, compassion, and transformative power of faith be evident in the lives of both missionaries and evangelists.
Praying for missions and evangelism emphasizes the dual commitment to spiritual and practical service, seeking to make a positive impact on both the physical and spiritual well-being of communities.
Bible verses to pray for mission trips
The Bible is a valuable source of inspiration for those praying for mission trips. It contains numerous verses that offer guidance and encouragement for those involved in mission work. Here are some Bible verses that can be used in prayers for mission trips:
- Matthew 28:19-20 – “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
- Isaiah 6:8 – “Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?’ And I said, ‘Here am I. Send me!'”
- Psalm 96:3 – “Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous works among all the peoples!”
- Romans 10:14 – “How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?”
- Isaiah 52:7 – “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness, who publishes salvation, who says to Zion, ‘Your God reigns.'”
- Philippians 4:13 – “I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”
These verses serve as a foundation for mission prayers, reminding believers of their calling to share the message of faith and providing encouragement and strength.
How to pray for missionaries
Praying for missionaries is a practice that involves expressing support, love, and care for those who have devoted their lives to spreading their faith. Here are some steps on how to pray for missionaries effectively:
- Acknowledge Their Sacrifice: Begin your prayer by acknowledging the sacrifices that missionaries make in leaving their homes and comfort zones to serve others. Recognize their dedication and commitment.
- Pray for Safety and Protection: Lift up missionaries in prayer, asking for God’s protection over their lives and journeys. Pray for their safety in potentially challenging or dangerous locations.
- Seek Spiritual Strength: Pray for missionaries to be spiritually strengthened and filled with the Holy Spirit. Ask for wisdom, discernment, and courage in their work.
- Ask for Open Doors: Request that God opens doors for missionaries to effectively share their faith and connect with the people they encounter.
- Pray for Fruitful Ministry: Seek God’s blessing on their ministry, asking for a fruitful impact on the lives of those they serve.
- Intercede for Their Families: Remember the families of missionaries, who also make sacrifices. Pray for their well-being and support while their loved ones are away.
- Express Gratitude: Express gratitude for the work missionaries do and for their obedience to their calling.
- Stay Updated: Stay informed about the specific needs and challenges of missionaries and adapt your prayers accordingly.
- Share Their Burdens: If you know of specific challenges or concerns missionaries are facing, bring these issues to God in prayer. Show your willingness to stand with them in their struggles.
- Maintain Consistency: Continue to pray for missionaries regularly, as their work is ongoing and often long-term. Consistent support through prayer is crucial.
Praying for missionaries is not only a way to offer support but also a means of connecting with a higher purpose and demonstrating compassion for those who dedicate their lives to spreading faith and love to others.