When you are a teen, it sometimes seems as if your parents are out to destroy you. When they set rules, it seems like they actively hate the things that make you happy. As you get older, however, it becomes apparent that they do care about you and want what is best for you. The Bible has some guiding words on this topic.
Bible verses about son and mother. Parents raising their children well should be an example to all other parents as to how to raise their own children. Here are some great Bible verses about being a good parent.
Bible Verses About Son And Mother
John 16:21 ESV / 121 helpful votes
When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come, but when she has delivered the baby, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world.
John 19:26-27 ESV / 112 helpful votes
When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home.
James 1:17 ESV / 93 helpful votes
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
Proverbs 22:6 ESV / 77 helpful votes
Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Proverbs 1:8-9 ESV / 73 helpful votes
Hear, my son, your father’s instruction, and forsake not your mother’s teaching, for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck.
Isaiah 49:15 ESV / 60 helpful votes
“Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you.
Proverbs 10:1 ESV / 54 helpful votes
The proverbs of Solomon. A wise son makes a glad father, but a foolish son is a sorrow to his mother.
Exodus 20:12 ESV / 51 helpful votes
“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.
Matthew 3:17 ESV / 50 helpful votes
And behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”
Luke 11:27 ESV / 45 helpful votes
As he said these things, a woman in the crowd raised her voice and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts at which you nursed!”
Proverbs 29:15 ESV / 39 helpful votes
The rod and reproof give wisdom, but a child left to himself brings shame to his mother.
John 17:1 ESV / 37 helpful votes
When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you,
John 19:25 ESV / 35 helpful votes
But standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene.
Luke 2:48-50 ESV / 35 helpful votes
And when his parents saw him, they were astonished. And his mother said to him, “Son, why have you treated us so? Behold, your father and I have been searching for you in great distress.” And he said to them, “Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?” And they did not understand the saying that he spoke to them.
Proverbs 15:20 ESV / 35 helpful votes
A wise son makes a glad father, but a foolish man despises his mother.
1 John 4:8 ESV / 34 helpful votes
Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.
Ephesians 6:1-3 ESV / 34 helpful votes
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.”
Luke 1:45 ESV / 34 helpful votes
And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord.”
John 3:16 ESV / 33 helpful votes
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
Psalm 127:3 ESV / 33 helpful votes
Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.
Leviticus 19:3 ESV / 33 helpful votes
Every one of you shall revere his mother and his father, and you shall keep my Sabbaths: I am the Lord your God.
John 19:25-27 ESV / 31 helpful votes
But standing by the cross of Jesus were his mother and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home.
Proverbs 23:22-25 ESV / 30 helpful votes
Listen to your father who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old. Buy truth, and do not sell it; buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding. The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice; he who fathers a wise son will be glad in him. Let your father and mother be glad; let her who bore you rejoice.
Proverbs 1:8 ESV / 30 helpful votes
Hear, my son, your father’s instruction, and forsake not your mother’s teaching,
Titus 2:3-5 ESV / 28 helpful votes
Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.
Luke 1:46-48 ESV / 28 helpful votes
And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
1 Peter 4:8 ESV / 27 helpful votes
Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins.
Deuteronomy 5:16 ESV / 25 helpful votes
“‘Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may go well with you in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.
2 Timothy 1:5 ESV / 24 helpful votes
I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well.
Luke 2:25-27 ESV / 24 helpful votes
Now there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon, and this man was righteous and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ. And he came in the Spirit into the temple, and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him according to the custom of the Law,
Luke 1:43 ESV / 24 helpful votes
And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me?
Psalm 127:3-5 ESV / 24 helpful votes
Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
Proverbs 30:17 ESV / 23 helpful votes
The eye that mocks a father and scorns to obey a mother will be picked out by the ravens of the valley and eaten by the vultures.
Matthew 10:35 ESV / 22 helpful votes
For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.
Isaiah 66:13 ESV / 22 helpful votes
As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you; you shall be comforted in Jerusalem.
Proverbs 29:17 ESV / 22 helpful votes
Discipline your son, and he will give you rest; he will give delight to your heart.
Proverbs 23:22 ESV / 22 helpful votes
Listen to your father who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old.
Revelation 12:1 ESV / 21 helpful votes
And a great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.
Luke 2:19 ESV / 21 helpful votes
But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart.
Mark 3:31-35 ESV / 21 helpful votes
And his mother and his brothers came, and standing outside they sent to him and called him. And a crowd was sitting around him, and they said to him, “Your mother and your brothers are outside, seeking you.” And he answered them, “Who are my mother and my brothers?” And looking about at those who sat around him, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of God, he is my brother and sister and mother.”
Mark 3:21-35 ESV / 21 helpful votes
And when his family heard it, they went out to seize him, for they were saying, “He is out of his mind.” And the scribes who came down from Jerusalem were saying, “He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and “by the prince of demons he casts out the demons.” And he called them to him and said to them in parables, “How can Satan cast out Satan? If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand. And if a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. …
Proverbs 6:20 ESV / 20 helpful votes
My son, keep your father’s commandment, and forsake not your mother’s teaching.
Psalm 139:13 ESV / 20 helpful votes
For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.
Luke 1:32-33 ESV / 19 helpful votes
He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.”
Proverbs 11:16 ESV / 19 helpful votes
A gracious woman gets honor, and violent men get riches.
Genesis 3:20 ESV / 19 helpful votes
The man called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all living.
Ephesians 4:30 ESV / 18 helpful votes
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
Luke 1:38 ESV / 18 helpful votes
And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.
Proverbs 19:18 ESV / 18 helpful votes
Discipline your son, for there is hope; do not set your heart on putting him to death.
Proverbs 13:24 ESV / 18 helpful votes
Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.
Matthew 15:4-6 ESV / 17 helpful votes
For God commanded, ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.’ But you say, ‘If anyone tells his father or his mother, “What you would have gained from me is given to God,” he need not honor his father.’ So for the sake of your tradition you have made void the word of God.
Proverbs 31:1-31 ESV / 17 helpful votes
The words of King Lemuel. An oracle that his mother taught him: What are you doing, my son? What are you doing, son of my womb? What are you doing, son of my vows? Do not give your strength to women, your ways to those who destroy kings. It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine, or for rulers to take strong drink, lest they drink and forget what has been decreed and pervert the rights of all the afflicted. …
Proverbs 23:25 ESV / 17 helpful votes
Let your father and mother be glad; let her who bore you rejoice.
Proverbs 18:22 ESV / 17 helpful votes
He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord.
Proverbs 14:1 ESV / 17 helpful votes
The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her own hands tears it down.
Colossians 3:20 ESV / 16 helpful votes
Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
Luke 2:51 ESV / 16 helpful votes
And he went down with them and came to Nazareth and was submissive to them. And his mother treasured up all these things in her heart.
Proverbs 30:11 ESV / 16 helpful votes
There are those who curse their fathers and do not bless their mothers.
Proverbs 23:13-14 ESV / 16 helpful votes
Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol.
Proverbs 6:20-22 ESV / 16 helpful votes
My son, keep your father’s commandment, and forsake not your mother’s teaching. Bind them on your heart always; tie them around your neck. When you walk, they will lead you; when you lie down, they will watch over you; and when you awake, they will talk with you.
Deuteronomy 4:9-10 ESV / 16 helpful votes
“Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children’s children— how on the day that you stood before the Lord your God at Horeb, the Lord said to me, ‘Gather the people to me, that I may let them hear my words, so that they may learn to fear me all the days that they live on the earth, and that they may teach their children so.’
Philippians 4:13 ESV / 15 helpful votes
I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
1 Corinthians 2:11 ESV / 15 helpful votes
For who knows a person’s thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.
Matthew 11:26-27 ESV / 15 helpful votes
Yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
Proverbs 31:10-12 ESV / 15 helpful votes
An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life.
Proverbs 22:15 ESV / 15 helpful votes
Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline drives it far from him.
Proverbs 20:20 ESV / 15 helpful votes
If one curses his father or his mother, his lamp will be put out in utter darkness.
John 2:3-4 ESV / 14 helpful votes
When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine.” And Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does this have to do with me? My hour has not yet come.”
Proverbs 31:28 ESV / 14 helpful votes
Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
John 14:6 ESV / 13 helpful votes
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Luke 1:28 ESV / 13 helpful votes
And he came to her and said, “Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!”
Mark 10:19 ESV / 13 helpful votes
You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’”
Genesis 21:1-3 ESV / 13 helpful votes
The Lord visited Sarah as he had said, and the Lord did to Sarah as he had promised. And Sarah conceived and bore Abraham a son in his old age at the time of which God had spoken to him. Abraham called the name of his son who was born to him, whom Sarah bore him, Isaac.
Hebrews 12:5-11 ESV / 12 helpful votes
And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? “My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.” It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? …
Best Bible Verses About Mothers to Share on Mother’s Day
- Isaiah 66:13: “As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you.”
- Isaiah 49:15: “Can a mother forget her nursing child? Can she feel no love for the child she has borne?”
- Proverbs 31:25: “She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.”
- Proverbs 31:26: “She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.”
- Proverbs 31:28–29: “Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: ‘Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.'”
- Deuteronomy 6:6–7: “And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.”
- Proverbs 31:31: “Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.”
- Psalm 139:13-14: “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.”
- Genesis 3:20: “The man called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all living.”
- 1 Peter 3:4: “You should be known for the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.”
- Deuteronomy 4:9: “Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.”
- Luke 2:51: “And his mother treasured up all these things in her heart.”
Bible Verses About Love
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-7: “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”
- 1 Corinthians 13:13: “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”
- John 15:12: “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.”
- 1 John 4:19: “We love because he first loved us.”
- Romans 13:8: “Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.”
- 1 John 4:12: “No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.”
- Psalm 143:8: “Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.”
- John 15:13: “Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”
- Galatians 5:22-23: “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.”
- Romans 12:9-10: “Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.”
- 1 Corinthians 16:14: “Do everything in love.”
Bible Verses About Family
- Exodus 20:12: “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.”
- Psalm 127:3: “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.”
- 1 Timothy 5:8: “Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.”
- Ephesians 4:32: “Be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.”
- Proverbs 1:8-9: “Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. They are a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck.”
- Proverbs 22:6: “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.”
- Proverbs 23:22-25: “Listen to your father who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old. Buy truth, and do not sell it; buy wisdom, instruction, and understanding. The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice; he who fathers a wise son will be glad in him. Let your father and mother be glad; let her who bore you rejoice.”
- Acts 16:31: “They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”
- Psalm 133:1: “How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity!”
- 3 John 1:4: “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.”
- Colossians 3:13: “Bear with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgive each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.”